As all of us are trying to adjust to our new normal in the midst of COVID-19, the YWCA Girls Exclusive staff compiled some fun ideas and creative strategies for girls to practice self care while social distancing at home. We hope you enjoy!
Socializing From Afar!
Tip #1: Video Chatting
Initiate a FaceTime / Video Chat with a friend. Leave the video chat running in the background for an hour or two while you go about your day. While this sounds a little intrusive, this method allows you to spend time together naturally as if you were in the same space.
Tip #2: Online Movie Night
Find a movie that you all want to watch (a bad one that you can all comment on is the most fun option). Then, use the Google Chrome extension called “Netflix Party” that allows you to simultaneously stream Netflix with friends. It even has a chat window and a play and pause button for everyone in the group.Click here to get the extension on your computer!
Tip #3: Exercise together through FaceTime / Video Chatting
There are many activities that are really fun that count as exercise! Some things you could do are:
- Dancing: Choreograph dances with your friends through video chats! Dancing is a really fun way to get some exercise, without feeling like you you’re working out.
- Yoga: Yoga is a great way to get in touch with your body and relax. Here are some at home yoga YouTube videos for you and your friends to follow!
- Walking: While we should be staying inside most of the time, getting fresh air is still very important for our mental and physical health! Go on walks with your friends, or video chat with each other while you take your walks separately.
Some journal prompts to get the girls thinking!
- If you could vote, would you vote republican or democrat? Why?
- Choose five symbols or objects that represent you. Why did you choose these things?
- What privilege of getting older are you most looking forward to?
- How have you changed since last school year?
- What does it mean to stand up for what you believe in?
DIY Hair Mask Recipes
- Cinnamon and Coconut Oil Mask (for hair growth). Ingredients: Equal parts cinnamon and coconut oil. Directions: Blend ingredients together well. Apply the mask to your roots and massage into your scalp. Leave the mask in your hair for 30 to 45 minutes and rinse.
- Green Tea and Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse (for irritated scalp). Ingredients: 1 cup of green tea, 2 drops of peppermint oil, 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar. Directions: Mix well, massage into the scalp and let sit for at least five minutes before rinsing.
- Honey, Egg, and Apple Cider Vinegar Mask (for dry hair). Ingredients: 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar. Directions: Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Leave mask on for 30 to 40 minutes, then rinse.
DIY Face Masks
- Egg White and Oatmeal Mask for Oily skin. Ingredients: 1 egg white (remove the yolk from the egg, the remainder is the egg white!) and 1 tablespoon of oatmeal. Directions: Mix egg white with oatmeal in small bowl. Pat onto face, leave on and let harden for 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water.
- Coconut and Olive Oil Mask for Dry Skin. Ingredients: 1 egg white, 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of honey. Directions: Mix ingredients together in a bowl, apply to face and leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse your face with your favorite face wash and pat dry.
- Cinnamon and Honey Face Mask for Acne Prone Skin. Ingredients: 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder, two teaspoons of honey. Directions: Mix ingredients together in a bowl, apply to your damp face with fingertips and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse face with warm water and pat dry.
DIY LIP SCRUBS
- Brown Sugar and Honey Exfoliation Scrub. Ingredients: 1 tablespoon of raw honey, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, (optional: 4 drops of any essential oil like lavender or eucalyptus). Directions: mix ingredients together in a bowl, apply a generous amount to lips, rub into lips in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes. Rinse off of lips and apply your favorite lip balm.
- Lemonade Lip Scrub. Ingredients: 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of petroleum jelly (A.K.A. Vasoline), 2 tablespoons of sugar. Directions: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, apply with finger to lips and scrub for 1 minute. Rinse with lukewarm water.
Spending Time In Nature
- Start a nature journal (You can learn more about nature journaling here!)
- Read your favorite book outside
- Play a game such as basketball or soccer
- Paint/draw the nature around you
Take An Online Class For Fun!
- Check out this free online class about the art of storytelling from Pixar artists!